Directions & Parking
Chadron State College is located about 290 miles north of Denver, CO and 100 miles south of Rapid City, SD Highways 20 and 385 intersect in Chadron. For driving directions and regional and campus maps, please visit CSC Page for Visitors: (http://www.csc.edu/visitors/location.csc)
Fort Robinson State Park is about 30 miles directly WEST of CSC campus, on Highway 20. Stay on Highway 20 as it curves around Crawford, continuing WEST Until you reach Fort Robinson, just a mile or so past the golf course.
You will need an Entry Permit in order to park at Fort Robinson State Park. You can purchase your permit at the Main Lodge, or through the NGCP website: https://ngpc-permits.ne.gov/NGPC-PS/faces/public/welcome Permits are $5 per day, or $26 annual.
Parking lots around the Sandoz Center and Old Administration at Chadron State College are OPEN PARKING during the summer.
Climate & Clothing
Chadron is approximately 3,369 feet above sea level with a fairly arid climate and a lot of sun during the summer months. Temperatures during our workshop will typically be in the 70s to low 80s (occasionally warmer) with lows around 50. There is always a chance for a cool or damp day, so bring appropriate attire.
NOTE: temperatures in June can be unpredictable, with highs in the 90s not uncommon—cooling off to around 60 at night. We usually have fairly low humidity. (The “Bricks” Officer Quarters has air conditioning on the main floor, which remains very comfortable no matter the weather. The upper floors in this historic building do not cool quite so well—but the windows open and it is lovely at night).
Most of our facilities will be air-conditioned. PLEASE BE AWARE THAT THE SANDOZ CENTER ON CAMPUS IS KEPT QUITE CHILLY SINCE IT ALSO HOUSES MANY MUSEUM ITEMS. You may want to bring a jacket to wear indoors for these sessions.
In any of the outdoor excursions during your stay, be sure to bring plenty of sun screen and bug-repellant (ticks can be thick in portions of our recreation areas). Be prepared for rapid changes in the weather as afternoon and evening thunderstorms can come up quickly. There are SWIMMING facilities at Fort Robinson, so you may want to pack a suit!
Field Trips & Other Activities
There is much to do in our region, and a lot of history. In addition to the post-workshop excursions and field trips outlined in our schedule, you might be interested in other recreation, sight-seeing and historical attractions in our region. You might also want to visit the Chadron City Webpage for some excellent suggestions about what to do in the area: http://www.chadron-nebraska.com. The CSC Visitors Webpage also has a good listing of resources: http://www.csc.edu/visitors/resources
The schedule lists when meals will be on your own. Here is a list of dining options:
The Fort Robinson Inn/Restaurant in the Main Lodge is open from 6:30 AM to 9pm daily, and starts serving lunch at 10:30 AM. Nearby in Crawford there are other dining options.
Popular choices along Highway 20 within just a few miles of Fort Robinson include--
· Staabs Drive In (grill and ice-cream stop) 110 McPherson St
· Perrenial Haus (Espresso/Coffee) 120 Mc Pherson St
· Dairy Sweet (great smoked BBQ) 3554 US-20,
· Ranch House (full service restaurant in an historic building): Downtown 445 2nd St.
· R-Bar (bar and grill/diner): Downtown 342 2nd St
· Tailgate (bar and grill): Downtown 303 2nd St
· Two Convenience stores/gas stations along HWY 20, and a small grocery store downtown
· Arby’s 440 W 3rd
· Bean Broker Coffee House (full lunch menu) 202 W 2nd
· Cakes And Etc. (Bakery & Sandwiches) 237 Morehead
· China House Restaurant 1240 Hwy 20
· Country Kitchen 1250 W. 10th
· Daily Grind Coffee House (sandwiches and baked goods) 219 Main
· Daylight Donuts/Bakery (Lunch items as well) 231 E. 3rd
· Donald’s Drive In (Diner & Hot Stuff Pizza Delivery) 448 E 3rd
· Escaramuza (Mexican) 410 W. 3rd
· EJ’s BBQ & Take-Out 273 Main St.
· Fryday’s 120 Bar and Grill 120 W. 2nd
· Helen’s Pancake & Steak House & The Grove Bar & Grill 950 W Highway 20
· McDonald’s 1180 W Highway 20
· Pizza Hut 500 W 3rd St.
· Safeway (Deli Counter) 230 Morehead
· Subway 1250 W. Highway 20
· Taco Johns 1310 U.S. 20
· Wilds (Bar and Grill) 216 West 2nd
· The Ridge (Bar and Grill) 164 Main
Those traveling from afar will want a place to stay in the region on Monday night, and Friday night. Here are some options:
At Fort Robinson:
· The historic lodge has 22 rooms, with single queen or two double beds. There are also cabins available, and a campground with hookups and a tent area. These all fill up quickly during the summer, so reserve early. (308) 665-2900 outdoornebraska.gov/fortrobinson & nebraskastateparks.reserveamerica.com
· Hilltop Motel 304 McPherson St -- (308) 665-1144 https://www.facebook.com/HilltopMotelCrawford/?rf=121487524531374
· Best Western West Hills Inn 1100 W 10th St -- Phone: (308) 432-3305 http://bestwesternnebraska.com/hotels/best-western-west-hills-inn
· Super 8 840 W. HWY 20 -- Phone: (308) 432-4471 https://www.wyndhamhotels.com/super-8/chadron-nebraska/super-8-chadron-ne/overview
· Westerner Motel 300 Oak St -- Phone: (308) 432-5577 or 5595 http://www.westernerinns.com
· Grand Westerner Motel 1050 W. Highway 20 -- Phone: (308) 432-5595
· Bunk House Motel 901 E 3rd St -- Phone: (308) 432-5591 http://www.bunkhousemotel.qwestoffice.net
· Old Main Street Inn 115 Main St. -- Phone: (308) 432-3380 (Stay in the Mari Sandoz Suite!) https://www.facebook.com/Oldemainstreetinn/
· Victorian Inn Bed and Breakfast 307 Shelton St -- Phone: (308) 432-5696 http://www.chadronvictorianinn.com
· Chadron Inn and Suites 755 Microtel Dr. -- Phone: (308) 432-3000 http://www.booking.com/hotel/us/motel-6-chadron.html
At Chadron State Park
· Nine miles south of Chadron in the scenic pine ridges—cabins available and an extensive campground with hookups and tent area. (308) 432-6167 http://outdoornebraska.gov/chadron & nebraskastateparks.reserveamerica.com
At Chadron State College
· CSC Resident Halls - $14.32 per person/per night/double occupancy
The Resident Hall rooms are room with a bed and a desk. We do not have TV's, lamps, phones, refrigerators or other hotel accommodations. The rate above does not include linen (sheets, blankets, pillows, or any towels) and we do not have a cleaning service for the room while you are staying with us. Contact CSC Conferencing Office (308)432-6380. Mention that you are with the Story Catcher Workshop.