Mari Sandoz Research Award
The Mari Sandoz Heritage Society encourages college students to conduct research on Mari Sandoz and her work at the undergraduate and graduate level by offering an annual research award of $1,000 for proposals that emphasize new insights on Sandoz or new approaches to her life and work. Topics to consider include: feminism; American Indian topics; environmental issues; activism. The award recipient will present the research at the Mari Sandoz Conference at Chadron State College in Chadron, Nebraska, held during the fall of 2018. One award of $1,000 will be disbursed in two payments: An initial payment of $500 will be presented with award notification to the recipient and an announcement to attendees of the fall 2017 conference. The balance of $500 will be paid the following year when the research is completed and presented at the 2018 conference.
- Undergraduate or graduate student at any college or University
- Call for application proposals: March 10, 2017
- Deadline for application proposal: July 31, 2017
- Notification of Award: September 15, 2017
- Announcement of Award: Mari Sandoz Conference, September 29, 2017
- Research Timeline: 1 year
- Research Presentation: Mari Sandoz Conference, 2018
Students click here to complete the online application proposal.
- The articulation of the research question
- The context of the broader theoretical/historiographical issues significant to the topic
- The significance of the overall project to the field of Sandoz research
- The decision of the Sandoz Research Award committee is final. Applicants will receive email notification of their proposal status following final review of the proposals.
Financial Assistance is Available Through the Voorhees Grant
The Voorhees Endowment at Chadron State College provides stipends in the form of Voorhees Grants for researchers using the archival resources of the Mari Sandoz High Plains Heritage Center. Applicants are required to define their proposed project(s) and describe how endowment funds will be used. Funding may be used for travel to the Center; lodging during research trip(s) to the Center and preparation of research project findings into various media formats . Priority will be given to individual researchers or research teams from schools in the Chadron State College service area, including reservation schools. Mari Sandoz Research Award Applicants are encouraged to apply for these funds. Please use the online endowment application form here.